Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gettin' 'er Done II

Getting closer!  Last Tuesday evening through Saturday night were spent hooked up to IV bags of chemotherapy drugs and hydration.  Sunday I received 2 units of blood over an 8-hour period, got my first neupagen shot and went home.  This week, Geoffrey is taking me to SCCA daily for blood draws, clinic evaluations and neupagen shots.

Invisible results:   My white blood cell (WBC) counts are now falling; and in my case, that's good!  As of today's blood draw, my neutraphil count (the WBCs that provide us with immunity)  was down to 9 from 18 on Monday--well on the way to 0.  That's why for the time being I have to stay away from gatherings of people.  Somebody in the mix might be coming down with a cold; and that would be dangerous for me at this point.


Visible Results:  I didn't get sick from the chemo like anticipated, and so far I still have hair!  While in the hospital, I took 1 - 3 mile walks around the halls.   Right now, I'm very fatigued, and haven't been sleeping much the past couple of nights.  (Suggestions welcome.)


What's the next milestone?  After the WBCs bottom out, they'll start to climb again, thanks to the neupagen shots.  This signals that little baby stem cells are generating, and spilling into my blood stream.  When that count reaches the magic threshold, tests will be done to make sure that it's really stem cells.  Then, the stem cell HARVEST!

How's Geoffrey holding up?  This adventure is taking its toll on him--he's my first line of defense.  There's a lot that has to be done--maintaining a cleaner than normal environment in the house, especially kitchen, flushing my central line, changing the dressing on my Hickman catheter--but he has courageously risen to the challenge!  He is so vigilant and takes such good care of me.  He gets me to my appointments, asks questions and doesn't stop until he understands the answer.  He monitors my medicines, cause sometimes I get mixed up.  I trust him with my life.  Thank you Geoffrey!

And many thanks to all of you for your concern, interest, notes, healing thoughts and prayers.  More later as this adventure unfolds!  Peace!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your WBC is going down! Have you ever considered a 'white noise' machine to help you sleep? White noise puts me out like a light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are progressing in the right direction; and I too am blessed with a kind and diligent husband who has been a tremendous help while my broken leg is healing! Sending my love your way....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janell, you are quite a fighter and someone to inspire others. I cannot imagine how difficult this is for you and for your family. We are praying for your recovery and for the treatments you have yet to come. We pray all is successful and that you wil endure it all with the strength and faith that is so evident. God bless and comfort you each moment of each day. Sherri Gerhardt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janell,
    You come from good stock (as they say in the old school). I'm praying for you. Sending you all the best wishes as you and Geoffrey go through this. Believe you have angels around you, including my beloved Aunt and your Godmother, Auntie Lois. Valerie

    ReplyDelete