Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oh My! What Just Happened?

About thirty minutes after the last post was published, we met with our medical team.  The tests results were in and looked very good, except for the bone marrow test results, which were expected to be ready by Friday or Saturday.     The bone marrow test results will provide the final data that will give the team a complete picture of my cancer status and will dictate the final recommendation for the next treatment regimen. Dr. Fero shared with us that my cancer protein level was currently at 1.4 again.  To get it as close to zero as possible, my medical team is seriously considering using an aggressive chemotherapy protocol based on what they think the bone marrow test results will reveal.

What does that mean?  I would be admitted to the University of Washington Medical Center for five days, receive the aggressive chemotherapy treatment and be monitored 24/7 in the hospital.

When will this happen?  We will find out on Monday, May 24, during another planning meeting with our medical team when we will receive the results of the bone marrow test.

What does this mean for the stem cell transplant?  That would postpone that step in my treatment for thirty to forty days after my hospitalization so that the aggressive chemotherapy can dissipate from my body and allow the stem cell extraction chemotherapy to act unhindered.

How do I feel about this?  I am very surprised and overwhelmed with this news.  I also want to get this process over with so I can get on with my life. I trust God's wisdom and His love for me.  I know that HE has blessed me with the best medical professionals to treat this specific cancer.  Therefore, "Lets get it done! Lets move forward and do what is necessary for the ultimate victory.  After all, I have a lot of living yet to do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment