Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 1-19: Progress Continues

Janell has been going through a series of tests here at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA).  Her blood counts, liver functions, lungs, dental, cardiac and cardio functions are strong and optimum.  The numerous blood draws are much easier for her with her Hickman catheter. 

Every day that catheter has to be flushed.  It is amazing to watch nurses doing that process over the last three weeks expertly and now say to you, "This is how you do it since you will be responsible for flushing her daily."  The degree of sterility in carrying out the process is an awesome responsibility and an extreme practice in concentrating. 

Think about how many surfaces you touch after washing your hands.  You touch the soap, scrub your hands, rinse turn off the faucet, dry your hands on a fluffy terry cloth towel, touch your eyes, nose or mouth, open the restroom door, touch your neck to scratch an itch, and then sit down to flush your loved one's catheter.  You re-contaminated your hands on the terry cloth towel, when you touched your face, touching the door knob and when you scratched that itch.  That was an eye opening revelation for me.

We have paper towels in strategic locations in our home and hand sanitizer everywhere.  Janell likes the lavender scented hand sanitizer so she can smell when it has been used.  When I prepare for the performing flushing process, I use hand sanitizer, get the box containing the supplies out, spray the top and handle of the box, and set out paper towels.  Then I wash my hands, dry with paper towels, walk to the table with my hands up like you see doctors doing after they scrub.  I get the different flushing syringes out, and the alcohol wipes.  I then use hand sanitizer again and start the flushing process which is actually very straight forward.  First you clean the tubing and tip of the catheter that is dangling outside the body with alcohol wipes, open the saline rinse syringe and push the contents into the catheter and then open the heprin syringe and push its contents into the catheter.  That's it!

It is amazing the amount of trust Janell has in me to be clean and not introduce any factors that will cause infection.  I take that responsibility very seriously and am committed to do my very best.

1 comment:

  1. My Darling Cousin,

    I am thinking of you, praying for you and as you know, feeling, from experience, what you are going through.

    I went through it 13 years ago and I am doing fine, so we know that you will too. It is scary, but there is no end to miracles. Your faith and your family and friends will see you through.

    Love you,

    Edree

    ReplyDelete