Thursday, May 6, 2010

March 11-April 30- The Short Version!

Yes!  We are covering a large chunk of time in a short space.

At Cascade Cancer Center it felt like we were coming home to familiar faces and caring people.  My cancer treatment became aggressive with me getting interveinous treatments on a twenty-one day cycle.  The goal has been for me to go through three cycles and then see how things are going.

My cancer chemo treatment includes  : dexamethazone, doxol and velcade.  The doxol is given once in the twenty-one days cycle which is great!  It takes an hour for the chemo to be administered.  During that time I must keep my bare feet and bare hands on ice in order to prevent blistering and peeling on the bottom of my feet and on the palms of my hands.  I appreciate Geoffrey showing movies on his laptop during that time to get my mind partially off of my discomfort.

I had a powerport inserted into my right chest with a tube going through a large vein and stopping right above my heart.  This device is used to administer the chemo and to extract blood samples.  My arm and hand veins are thankful since they have all decided to collapse and not allow blood to be extracted for the needed blood samples.  I like the convenience of the powerport except for the on-going infection in that area that has lasted for about 3 1/2 weeks.  In fighting the infections, another a whole laundry list of drugs were added to my regimen of stuff to take.  Actually this can be seen as a weight reducing regimen since one can fill up with water and drugs and not have room for food.

I have also spent about three visits in the hospital on weekends to chemo treatment and emergency examinations due to reactions to the infection or to the drugs fighting the infection.  After a couple of specific chest x-rays, a blood clot was found in my upper chest.  Why did a clot appear?  Apparently my body didn't appreciate the powerport being inside my body, attempted to get rid of it, fought with all of its natural mechanisms available and created a blood clot in the process.  It is not life threatening, and is being treated and monitored closely. That also means I have more drugs to add to my diet.

Dexamethazone is a steriod drug that works in tandem with the other drugs.  I receive that four times within each twenty-one days cycle.  That also translates into "Super Woman" since I am not able to sleep, can clean the house, cars, weed the garden and bake four loafs of bread overnight.  Needless to say, in the morning my super powers have vanished and I become a mere tired (actually exhausted) woman ready to sleep for a week.

I do thank God for His mercy and grace in helping me day by day through this journey.  I also deeply appreciate all of your prayers, love and concern.  May God richly bless you all.

2 comments:

  1. Janell -

    It's lovely to hear the latest about your journey, even though they have stepped up your treatment. Tyler just dealt with the peeling of his feet (more than hands) and I'm thankful that you had a way to prevent that. Nothing was mentioned to us about Hand Foot Syndrome until after it was on the mend.

    Take care of yourself and rest when your steroids allow you to do so!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You (pl)are always on my mind,in my heart and prayers out here on the lone prairie. Just keep going, Ms. Eveready!

    Bru Ed

    ReplyDelete